The Dave McKeon Story


On March 1, 2007, David McKeon represented himself in his divorce. His children were 6 and 7 years old. The court determined that McKeon is a “domestic violence perpetrator” and awarding him custody would not be in the best interest of the children.

He was granted two weekends a month supervised visitation from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. McKeon cannot take his children outside of Salt Lake County, Utah. However, he did not comply.

The custody papers also specifically say that no form of corporal punishment is to be used when dealing with the children. He did not comply.

McKeon was ordered to pay $1,644 in child support and $702 in spousal support, starting Jan. 15, 2007. However, he did not comply. In July 2013, it was reported that McKeon owed 16,600.05 in unpaid child support.

In the divorce, McKeon’s ex-wife Monica asked that he submit to a drug test. Monica’s request was denied but it is worth noting. She said he abused drugs and alcohol while they were married. He admitted to this behavior to the court.

Dec. 14, 2010, McKeon requested the court grant him joint custody of his two boys. He had not completed a batterer’s intervention program, parenting classes, or drug and alcohol counseling.

He did not call often and rarely had visits with the boys. His oldest son did not want to speak to his father.

Monica said, in her report, that much of the domestic violence occurred around the children. She told the court McKeon strangled her until she urinated on herself and then proceeded to rape her while they were still married. McKeon admitted to the court that he had done these things.

Monica reported that in September 2004, her husband pushed her up against the sliding glass door and proceeded to hit her in the face repeatedly, while she was holding one of the boys. The boy was only a toddler at the time. She filed for a restraining order asking for McKeon to stay away from her, her home, her parents, and their children. Monica did not ask him not to contact her or appear at her place of business. When the restraining order was granted, McKeon was not allowed any visitation rights.

According to Monica’s report, McKeon repeatedly told her “he has no problem choking [her] and then slitting his own wrists.” She was also asked, “When should I kill you, now or later?” Sometimes the toddlers were in the same room when McKeon said these things. He would often hit her or hold her in a “lock” for long periods of time. During these times the boys were in another room.

McKeon would leave for days, even weeks at a time and Monica would not know where he was or when he would be returning. Not only was he violent and explosive, he was unpredictable and unstable.

He admitted that he abused drugs and alcohol but refused to seek help.

McKeon has a history of mental illness and emotional instability but would not follow through with treatment.

In September 1999, McKeon pushed and hit Monica before packing his clothes and disappearing for two weeks. When she was 9 months pregnant he would strangle her and pour cold water on her so Monica would do what he wanted.

On Aug. 10, 2003, Monica told her husband she wanted a divorce. He locked her in their bedroom and choked her for 45 minutes. McKeon told Monica he wanted to kill her. She screamed for her life, afraid she was on the “brink of death.” He stopped after Monica went limp and urinated on herself.

Before she could catch her breath, McKeon demanded Monica have sex with him. At that point, she was too weak to fight anymore. Throughout this time, the boys were banging on the bedroom door screaming.

Two days later, a friend took pictures of Monica’s injuries. There were burst capillaries in her eyes, marks on her neck, and her lips, gums, and tongue were swollen and shredded. The friend was an ER nurse and told Monica she was lucky to be alive.

In September 2004, their youngest son cut his foot. McKeon would not allow Monica to take him to the emergency room when she was unable to stop the bleeding. She was holding the boy when McKeon pushed her against a glass door and slapped her face five times. Then, he left, never to return.

When their oldest son was 9 months old, McKeon locked Monica and the baby out of the house. They had to sleep in the car to stay warm. McKeon taunted her throughout the night by unlocking the door long enough for her to get out of the car and lock it again before she was able to get inside.

When the boys would cry, their father would cover their mouth and nose so they could not breathe, until they stopped crying. He said it was a technique used by the American Indians. McKeon would also shove a sock in their mouths when they cried in the car. The harder they cried the deeper he shoved the sock.

Without permission, he took the children to a Dodgers game and returned the boys home at 10 p.m., four hours late. He was obviously intoxicated and drove them over 30 miles without car seats.

He would often threaten to take the boys. July 2006, McKeon went to Utah to visit his sons. When they were leaving the movie theater, Monica received a phone call. He walked the boys to the car and left her behind. When she called him, McKeon said they were his sons “he can do with them what he wants and will return them when he wants… or not.” Monica threatened to call the police and he returned for her.

Outdoor Technologies Inc. sued Image Vinyl Fencing & Construction, et al, on Jan. 31, 2005, for the principal amount of $27,064.50 plus interest for 13 months and 11 days which equaled the amount of $3,014.59. McKeon had written a promissory note for the principal amount in November 2003, and had not paid any of the money that was due May 25, 2004.

On Jan. 22, 2010, McKeon was sued by Broad Oak Advisors, a Delaware limited liability company, for breach of promissory note; open book account, account stated, and reasonable value. They won the case and McKeon was ordered to pay $12,118.84 plus interest and attorney fees. The plaintiff had no idea who McKeon’s associates were and referred to them as Doe 1 through 24.

On June 26, 2008, McKeon created, executed, and delivered two promissory notes to Broad Oak Advisors in the sums of $1,200.93 and $10,000, with 8 percent interest, due on Dec. 6, 2008. Still, nothing had been paid by July 2009.

McKeon is not a family man. He is a mentally ill, unstable man. McKeon is not a businessman. He is a thief. He does not belong in public office.

By J.Smith

Featured Image Courtesy of Jeffery’s Flickr Page – Creative Commons License
Top Image Courtesy of Greens MPs’ Flickr Page – Creative Commons License

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *